Skip to main content

Motor Vehicle Accident with Uninsured Motorist

In 2005 I bought a black 2006 Nissan Titan which I have been driving since the first day I drove him home 14 years ago.


Witten was everything to me. I was so independent with my own vehicle again. I loved it. Sure Witten was old, but that did not matter to me. He was running great, he practically looked brand new. And I was hoping to drive him another five to ten years, especially since I just had a new wheelchair lift put on it in December 2017 and relatively low miles. However, that is not the case and I am heartbroken.


On March 18th I was driving home from work and the light was yellow and I went through the intersection and a Chevy Trailblazer turned left in front of me. I hit the brakes, but we collided. When I came to a stop I was over the curb in the grass and somehow managed to miss a light pole and a cement utility box, my glasses flew off, airbag deployed, and did not know if I was hurt or not.


I was more worried about who I hit. Well, the guy that turned in front of me did not have insurance and was also driving on a suspended license. He refused treatment at the scene. I asked numerous times if they were OK and the paramedic said yes, but we need to help you now.

I was bleeding, my neck and back were in intense pain, and no one knew how to get me out of the truck. I called my dad and he was able to help once he got there. Once I exited the truck my right leg was bleeding.

After some major convincing I was ambulanced to the hospital. There they only checked my one leg that was bleeding and my neck and back which ended up being fine, but no one took my pants off. When I got home that night and took my pants off and we noticed my left leg was extremely swollen. And I have broken my right leg three different times – I know a swollen leg usually means I broke something. The next day it was determined that I had broken my left femur in the accident and I would need surgery. Friday I was back in the ER and I was admitted. Being a weekend they were not sure when I would have surgery. I ended up having surgery the following Monday.

The truck was totaled. I had pestered my dad a million times on if they would fix it and he said no. He even called the body shop where it was towed to and they said if it had a bent frame it would be costly to fix it. I would do just about anything for them to fix my beloved Witten. I know at 14 years old that eventually, I would have to start looking for a new truck, but I was hoping that was a few years away at the very least, but like my dad and a lot of my friends have said – as sad as they are to see this happen to my truck – the truck did what it was supposed to do - it protected me.

I’m still sad about it and it makes me angry that he was on the road when he should not have been. On top of it he tried to claim injury the next day on MY insurance. Claimed I got a ticket and I did not. He got tickets for no insurance, suspended license, and failure to yield. It angers me. So many what-ifs go through my head about that day. And I can’t change it.

There were a lot of great memories in that truck. I am sad I will not get to take my dog bye-bye in it anymore. He loved riding in the truck. Family trips, friend trips, fishing trips. And I know I will have that in the next truck and the new technology will be faster and keep me out of the weather elements and I think it will also be able to fit in parking spots better. I will miss Witten. He was a great truck.

A new truck will cost anywhere from $70,000 to $80,000. That is money I just do not have. Who does for a vehicle? A modified vehicle is what I need to get to and from to work. It’s my independence, it is my life. A friend said without a vehicle it handicaps me more and he is right, it does. Any help you could give would be so greatly appreciated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Please check out my GoFundMe Page . Hi. My name is Kristi and I was asked to tell you about me. I work for an association that helps our nation's handicapped military veterans and have since 2015. Before that, I worked for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation. I have one of the most rewarding, humbling jobs in the world. I love helping our nation’s Veterans and their families. I have lived with Lupus for over 30 years and have been paralyzed for 25 years. I am a fighter. Medically speaking – I should not be here. I have a hard time talking about myself, and well, I have an extensive medical history so this could get quite long. The last thing I want to do is bore you. With that said…here we go. 😊 I was a healthy kid until the age of 10 when I was diagnosed with Lupus in the summer of 1989. Lupus is a long-term autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system becomes hyperactive and attacks normal, healthy tissue. This is an adult disease and rare that a child a